1 4cm piece of ginger, peeled
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves or 1 tbs dried
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves or 1tbs dried
1 pound lean beef mince
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 small pinch chilli flakes
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 10 minutes.
- Grate the onion on the large holes of a box grater and place 1/4 cup of it in a large bowl. Grate the ginger on a Microplane and place 1 tablespoon of it in the bowl. Grate the garlic on the Microplane and add it the bowl. Finely chop the parsley and mint and add to the bowl.
- Add the mince, salt, and spices and mix quickly and gently with your hands to combine (do not overwork the meat or it will be tough). Form into 30 (4cm) sausages around the skewer and place on a baking tray. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan or not stick pan lightly coated with vegetable oil on medium-high heat for about 6 minutes or bake in the oven at 180C for about 15 minutes. Do not overcrowd the pan, or the grill pan will cool down and they will stick and break, turn the koftas so they brown properly on all sides.. Remove to a serving platter.
- To finish, lightly grill the pitas or naan in the grill pan for about a minute to toast and warm through. Top with kofta and some tzatziki.