A quick easy mushroom risotto, great as a starter or light meal. Perfect for Meat Free Mondays https://kasheringyourlife.co.za/going-meatless/
- 500 gm Exotic Mushrooms, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 ml dried Thyme or 15ml Fresh Thyme, stalk removed
- 2 cups risotto (Aborio) rice
- 1 1/2 liters hot chicken stock
- 30 ml oil for frying
- 2 x 15ml butter or margarine
- 250 gm Frozen peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat half the oil in a heavy bottomed pot
- saute the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, until the onion is glassy
- Add the mushrooms and butter/margarine and cook for a further 5 minutes until lightly browned
- Remove the mushroom and onion mix and set aside
- Add the remaining oil and butter to the pot
- Add the rice and stir until well coated with melted butter and oil
- Return the mushroom mixture to the pot
- Add the Thyme and season the mixture, stir until the seasoning, rice and mushrooms are well combined
- Add all the stock and stir well
- Allow the risotto to simmer for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the pot.
- 5 minutes before serving stir in the peas.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve hot as a side dish or as a light meal